Two years later, Trackball still on track

For those who have read this blog for some or all of it's 2 year existence, you know that it started with a bit of a bang by bashing Thanksgiving and by laying down a sort of guiding philosophy for life - be true to oneself and it's how you live, not how long you have lived.

Put this all together, and I thought it would be a good exercise to reread that Thanksgiving basher from 2005 and see if it still held true. Had a good Thanksgiving this year, which was more of a dinner party at some friends' house, so I want to stick the hypocrisy meter in the wind and see what happens.

Result: I haven't deviated at all from my earlier take on the holiday. In fact, I've found that as I reread it that I am quite taken the post. I've found this when rereading other posts: I enjoy reading some of them and if it's been long enough, can surprise myself with an idea or a turn of phrase I forgot about.

Some people who review their own creations, whether they be cooking, writing, children, painting or woodwork, always turn away in disgust. Sometimes that happens for me, but I think it's because usually I can tell what of mine sucks or doesn't suck.

So I'm feeling some pride in my ability to self-critique, stay true, and of course, not have a bloat-out on the pigout holiday.

1 comment:

Ron Toland said...

I think in this modern age the holidays can take on whatever meaning you want to give them. For me, Thanksgiving (and Christmas) aren't about food and presents; they're excuses to spend time with as many friends and family as you can pack into your house.

In that sense, Thanksgiving has a lot of meaning for me, if only because I've chosen to give it meaning. Perhaps the problem with the holiday is not that it's a harvest holiday (traditional in cultures dependent on agriculture for survival) but that the meanings attached to it in popular culture are nowhere near as deep as the life-and-death meaning it held for our ancestors?